Monday, April 7, 2008

Sugar Birds



CRUCIAN BY CHOICE wanted everyone to see the Sugar (or Yellow) Birds that flock to her feeder every morning. There are many wonderful creatures on St. Croix like these native ones. There are also the endemic ones such as the Senapole cattle and the Guineas that fly in flocks around the island, but my favorites are the mongooses. I don't know what I like them so much. Maybe I like the story of Rikki-tikki. In any event, this is why there are no snakes in the Caribbean.

2 comments:

Crucian by Choice said...

I saw a snake. When the mangoe tree near to the house fell over in one of the storms, the backhoe tried to put it back up but it wouldn't stand upright on the steep hill. We had to remove it and there was a white snake under the roots, but not for long - it was gone in a flash. I think they are called Blind Snakes.
Monday, April 7, 2008 11:09pmAST

Crucian by Choice said...

Plural: mongoose'dem
April 9, 2008 7:23amAST

 
Google